Win32::Daemon woes

(3 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by JoeCasadonte
  • Latest reply from Dave

Tags:

1. JoeCasadonte

Hi Dave!

Been a long time; hope you're well!

I've been beating my head against the wall for 3 days now trying to get my app to work as a daemon.   I've combed the forums trying to find an answer to no avail.

• Perl: This is perl, v5.8.7
    • Win32::Daemon: initially 2003.06.17, currently 2002.06.06

I can get things installed correctly, and get a simple script to run.  The minute I try and use one of my own modules, though, it stops working.  As near as I can tell, it's not compiling (the first thing I do is try to open a log file to output debug statements, and I see nothing).  Of course, it compiles fine if run from the command line.  I have a use lib "r:/"; statement in there, so I know that the paths are correct and not depending on a particular working directory.

Any ideas how I can figure out what's going wrong?  I'm going batty trying to figure it out!

joe

edit: evidently this is not a FireFox-friendly editing box.....

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. JoeCasadonte

Answering one's own question is oft considered bad form, but I'll do it anyway.  Thinking about this on the way home last night, it occurred to me that I could wrap the use in an eval and trap the error.  So I did.  As expected, the script was not compiling, dieing on the use statement.  I check the spelling and the paths; everything looked fine.  And then it came to me: my R: drive is a network resource, and the service doesn't know jack about it!

Sometimes it's the simple things.....

Posted 7 years ago #
  3. Dave
    Perl guy

JOE!!!

It has been a long time. I'm doing well; working extremely hard! I trust you're doing well too. :)

I was going to ask about the R: drive. It is possible to run the service under a user account that does have such permissions. Additionally if you were to use a UNC (\\server\share\...) you could configure the remote share to allow any connection from your particular computer. That would allow access from any account on the scripted machine; including localhost accounts.

I'm glad that you were able to resolve the issue. Feel free to stop by more often! :)

Peace

Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.